September 27, 2017

Looking Glass


Because sometimes we just need to be reminded: God's view is clearer than our own.
......................................

Whisper sweet nothings into my ear;
Remind me of who You know I am.
I'm looking for my face in the mirror You hold
Dark, yet lovely
Stumbling, yet perfect
Unworthy, yet priceless.

These circus mirrors I own
Reflect images that wear me out
     Grieve my soul
     Grate my conscience
     Grappling with imperfections
 As I wrestle them to the foot of the cross.

I'm tired of these mirrors
Which reveal every blemish
Yet offer no hope;
no assurance of lasting change.

Breathe life into these lungs once more
Show me what I was created for . . .

A divine romance
An infinite dance
of a Lover with his beloved.


Your love for me is
Astounding, abounding;
Amazing, unchanging.

In awe I stare at this new Looking Glass
As I abandon the frustrations of the past.
I boldly stand before the throne of grace
Banner in hand, smile upon my face.

Distorted mirrors set aside
Nothing left for me to hide.
You see it all, and yet You say
I am perfect - in every way.

Clothed in the righteousness of my King
You've given me a reason to sing.
I'm not my own;
I've been bought with a price.
And with my Love, you are satisfied.

The banners which once flew over my head
     Imperfect
     Unloved
     Riddled with fret

Are now replaced with immortal pen:

Loved by the King.

Again and again
I return to this lovely Looking Glass
To see if the message remains unchanged
Delighted I turn away,
with the truth reaffirmed . . .

The distorted images of memories past
Occasionally remind me of my own looking glass
But with hope renewed, I set them aside
As I recall the day the God-man died.

His offering relieved me of futile pursuits
Incessant endeavors to earn God's smile
An unprofitable attempt to make his offering worthwhile.
Never understanding I was loved all the time
All my efforts were a byline
a small tribute to the main Character's story
a feeble declaration of another's glory.
I am priceless
Not because of who I am
But Whose I am.

So whenever I'm tempted to lose heart, to faint
From expectations I seem to place
On myself
Please remind me that Your Looking Glass
Is far superior to my own.

And although there will be days
I will feel so far away
From You and who you've created me to be
You see the end from the beginning
And You've promised to complete
This marvelous work You've begun in me.

So until that day of complete perfection arrives
I’ll rest in Your love as an expectant Bride . . .
And from time to time, I’ll steal a glance
From Your eternally unchanging Looking Glass.

3 comments:

Carolyn Knefely said...

Beautiful, Meckeisha. Your heart is showing in these wonders words. Share on!

Unknown said...

So full of truth and encouragement!

Mekeisha said...

Thank you Lisa!

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing... I love to hear from you!