December 12, 2017

Freedom House


A couple months ago a guest speaker came and shared at our church. Jennifer Waller spoke about Freedom House, a home in Soldotna where women could come when they were transitioning from hard places to their new life. 

Since she had previously served as a chaplain at one of the prisons here in Alaska, she saw the need for such a home. 

One woman she met told her – when I get out, I don't have anywhere to go. I can either stay with my drug dealer or live homeless on the streets.

From that conversation, her dream to start Freedom House was birthed. When she first found a property, and had it inspected for repairs (everything has to be up to code!), the inspector handed her a stack of papers an inch thick and said - What you're trying to do here is impossible.

She took that stack of papers home and began to pray over them. Lord, if this is your house, let your will be done. Fully convinced this was the home she should purchase, she made a $700K decision with $800 in her bank account.

After several months of renovations, volunteers helping with construction, plumbing, furniture, funds, and fully furnishing the interior- that same man came to the house for a final inspection. With tears in his eyes he told her: I can't believe what I've just witnessed.

A project that could have easily spanned years was opened after four months of intense labor.

Incredible.

After hearing her share about Freedom House, I knew I wanted to go there. 

So this last weekend I drove up to Soldotna with my oldest daughter and a couple friends to put on a brunch for the ladies there. I shared a few stories and we ate together. Afterwards, we had a tour of the house. It was beautiful.

Lifeinmissions.blogspot.com


Lifeinmissions.blogspot.com

Maybe it's silly, but the reason I volunteered to spend my Saturday driving 3 hours to host a tea party was simply this:

I wanted to meet the women that stirred God's heart. I wanted to step into their story- if only for a moment- and be a part of God's love poured out. I just know that if God can compel an entire community to rally behind this project, no one who enters that door can doubt God's good intentions towards them.

Lifeinmissions.blogspot.com

I want to be part of that story.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing... I love to hear from you!