September 8, 2016

Christian Communicator's Conference 2016, part 2

As promised, here are some snapshots of my favorite parts of the conference, along with a short intro to some of the ladies I met there.

My favorite things


Many things were covered during our short time there, but one of my favorite topic was the one on Body Language. We learned how to display positive body language, and how to read body language in others.

Did you know you can tell if a person is dishonest by the way they shake hands? Mrs. Knefely shared a few tips she had learned through years of working in the corporate world. After coming to an agreement with someone, she would always insist on shaking hands. Their grip would let her know if the proposal was an honest one, or a cupped palm could cue her that something had been overlooked.
Sneaky, huh? I thought so too.

We also had a high tea on Friday afternoon. It was so much fun!!








Amazing people


There were so many amazing women there. The directors only accept 30 applications for each conference, because they want it to be a more intimate setting. I really appreciated that.

While there, I was privileged to get to know several of the ladies there, along with their stories.

I met:

- A modern day woman with an issue of blood. She had endured the awkwardness of getting a colonoscopy every year for over 15+ years, until the Lord completely healed her.

- An incredibly joyful woman who - I was surprised to discover - had lost her husband to colon cancer five months before. I also learned her son passed away last December, just months before her husband's diagnosis. Her story was one of trusting God's goodness even in the middle of great loss.

An attorney whose humor and business sense made me want to sit up and write everything she said. No, really. We were supposed to critique each person's five minute presentation, but when she spoke, I just wanted to take notes!

A woman who stood and shared that in the last year, she had dropped 126.4 pounds. As she paused, an approving murmur of surprise swept the room. A moment later, everyone erupted in laughter when our Comedian confessed: And that was just when I dropped my daughter off for college this last fall! Well, I guess there's more than one way to drop the pounds!

A published author with four college degrees who brought everyone to tears with her 5 minute speech. Afterwards, I hugged her and said, "Welp, you ruined everyone's make-up!" It's obvious the Cerebral Palsy diagnosis she received as a baby has not limited her ability to touch hearts.

A fiery redheaded woman who had been through the foster system as child, and many broken relationships as an adult. Every time I saw her, I was struck by her beauty - inside and out. I'm hoping to share one of her poems with you later- it's the reason I ended up buying her book!

- A 75 year old lady who confessed: My goal is to leave this world with an empty bucket. I want to pour out all the wisdom and love God has showered on me...

Guys.

This is just a snapshot of the crew there. Every woman had a story to share, and it was beautiful.

Conclusion


I'm so thankful I had the opportunity to attend this amazing conference. I learned many things about marketing, social media, refining my message, and other practical tools, but the greatest part of this conference was getting the chance to glean wisdom from women who are already using their gifts, and getting to hear the stories of those who are headed that direction.

I leave you with the prayer we were gifted with at the end of the conference,
penned by Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val (1865-1930):

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being extolled, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being honored, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being praised, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being preferred to others, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being consulted, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being approved, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being humiliated, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being despised, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of suffering rebukes, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being calumniated, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being forgotten, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being ridiculed, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being wronged, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being suspected, Deliver me, Jesus.

That others may be loved more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be esteemed more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That, in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease, 
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be chosen and I set aside, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be praised and I unnoticed, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be preferred to me in everything, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
.................

I'm not sure I can honestly pray that last section (who wants to be set aside??), but that first section strikes a chord with me.

So be it.



9 comments:

Robin Gilbert Luftig said...

Love this!

Julie Garmon said...

LOVE. LOVE. LOVE.

Dee Dee said...

Beatuiful Mekeisha! Just as you are!

Unknown said...

You took me back to the conference for a moment because your words were perfect. Oh how we loved you! Always will. Thank you beautiful lady!

Vonda Skelton said...

Oh, Mekeisha, this post is beautifully written! Certainly brings back lots of memories from years of Christian Communicators Conferences. God is so good to give us this family of speakers and writers to continue to love on, learn from, and rejoice in! Love you, sweet girl!

Mekeisha said...

Wow Vonda, thank you so much.
I once read that the creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. This seems especially true when it comes to CCC- it just keeps multiplying! I'm glad to be part of the Christian Communicators Family. Much love, Mekeisha.

Mekeisha said...

You are so welcome Tammy. I am so blessed to have met you!!
Thank you for teaching us to be servant leaders.

Mekeisha said...

Thanks Mary!

Unknown said...

Ok, gonna try to post again and hope it sticks this time. This was such a heartwarming post, and definitely took me back to rooms 100 and 101 at The Cove. I love your writing style, and love you even more!

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing... I love to hear from you!