September 7, 2016

Christian Communicator's Conference 2016, part 1

Well, looks like that fortune cookie was right.



Last week I returned from a speaker’s conference at the Billy Graham Training Center in North Carolina. I came away from our time feeling overwhelmed- there was so much information to take in! After a quick consult with the team's efficiency expert, I broke out my spoon and decided to tackle the elephant (aka my to-do list) one bite at a time.

I will not share everything that was covered, but I will share some moments that stood out to me personally.

Incredible facilities

The first day I was there, I took time to walk around the hallways. They were a memorial of sorts, since every wall was covered with photos of Billy Graham and his family, with short blurbs about the work he has done, and the places he has ministered in. On the inside walls there were glass display cases filled with gifts that he has received from people in various nations. Jewelry, vases, native art, and other items were arranged according to the country they had come from. 





I was so touched to see the many decades of service he had given, and confessed to the doorman that I needed to retire to my room and cry for a bit; I felt so overwhelmingly blessed to see his years of service. Those halls represent 80+ years of loving Jesus.

Faithfulness really is beautiful to behold.

My roommate

I was blessed to room with Doris Jean Shaw - or DJ, as some people called her. I meant to ask her age, but never got around to it. We enjoyed many late night conversations together, and I got to share one of my not-so-secret life ambitions with her.

Anyone who knows me at all, knows that my lifelong goal is to one day become an amazing Grandmother. I absolutely adore older women, and enjoy getting to be around them – to hear their wisdom, to learn from their stories, and pray that their beauty will rub off on me. Having DJ as my roommate was like getting a little love note from God.

At the end of the conference, I was happy to share with her There's no one else I would have rather roomed with. Here she is, with her Certificate of Completion - you go girl!



Emotional upheaval

Before arriving, several women had shared (via e-mail)  they felt like they were under attack spiritually. Some experienced physical challenges, some were dealing with the sickness of loved ones, and others questioned whether they should come at all.

I experienced none of those things.

Until day two, that is.

Day two is the day I put my face on (as in, full make up) three separate times.

I found myself heading to my room during morning break and again at lunch so I could flop on my bed and cry all my mascara onto the freshly laundered pillows. Then I sat up, took a deep breath, and prayed. I submitted my emotions to Jesus, (Yes, we can do that) and asked him to HELP! me stay focused. Then I got up, washed my face with cold water, had a visit with Miss Maybelline, and headed back to class.

During the last session of the day, I wanted to slip out unnoticed. I still felt like a like a wet sponge, ready to spring a leak at the slightest nudge, but the leaders decided to change things up a bit and have us move to a different table.

Now I would have to make a scene to retrieve my belongings if I decided to go. So instead of drawing attention to myself, I stayed. Good thing I did, too. We created an inspiration board from magazine clippings and shared our stories with one another. It was invigorating.
I love crafty/creative projects!

photo credit: Mary Freeman Denman

I thought everything was over until one of the leaders asked me to come up front.
"Most of you have seen Mekeisha here the last day or so. I want three of you to tell me what you think about her."

Across the room, people flung their hands in the air and began responding with popcorn phrases across the room.

She has a gentle strength.

It makes me happy just being around her.

I love her laugh, it makes me smile.

When she talks to me, she shares what God thinks of me, and it's good.

She has a powerful prayer life.

She's a great listener.

She is just adorable.

I stood silent as the words flowed over me. I can't recall all the words that were spoken, but they were nourishing- a gentle reminder that even though I hid my sadness from everyone else, God saw.

Afterwards, I went to Tammy and asked, "Why did you do that?"

"Well, I've seen it done before and I liked it. I asked God to show me who I should invite up, and I just kept coming back to you."

I thanked God and this sweet woman for her obedience. Those words refreshed my soul, and freed me up to fully engage for the last half of the conference.

...............

Tomorrow, I'll share my favorite parts of the conference, along with some short stories about the people I met there.

6 comments:

Christina Custodio said...

Thank you for sharing your heart Mekeisha. I didn't know all of that was going on inside of you. Our God is absolutely amazing. I love the way he loves us! Thank you for being a vessel of His light that shines for all of us to see.

Carolyn Knefely said...

Mekeisha, you are such a gifted writer. Thanks for the journey back to those days. God saw to it that you were encouraged on that tough day. He's the best! While He showered you with words of conformation of who you are to the ladies, you were the delight of the week to us too.

Shine on!

Julie Garmon said...

Ohhh, I love this post! Such a lovely reminder of our CCC time together.

Beautiful. Just beautiful. And I had a few emotional moments too. I'm putting a blog together in my heart about them.

So Much Love,
Julie

Esther Dilbert-O'Connor said...

Just beautiful! I love how God orchestrates things on our behalf, He knew what you needed, and He used the switching up of our seats for you to stay, and He used Tammy to call you up to comfort you through wordd. Thank you for this blog and for taking us back there so beautifully and eloquently.

Barbara V. Evers said...

Wow! Welcome new CC sister! I attended the very first CCC and remember several emotional moments and laughter and joy...and the attacks from Satan for many of us. It was an incredible experience, and the bonds you forged will remain with you forever.

coffeeandthewordwithsherry said...

Oh how I love your heart, Mekeisha!

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing... I love to hear from you!