July 22, 2008

The Shack




Today William P. Young, the author of The Shack spoke in our school. It was incredible to hear how a simple gift turned into such a cultural phenomenon. The book was originally written as a Christmas gift for his six children, as a way to help them understand who God is. To date, I believe he said it had sold over 2 million copies, and that is with a marketing campaign 'investment' of less than $300 - that is unheard of.

I know this may seem a bit overstated, but after hearing him speak in our class yesterday, I walked away feeling I'd been given a taste of heaven. Not necessarily because of the man himself. He admittedly found it a bit funny that this book had landed him with an audience of thousands, and he still felt like the same ordinary guy he was before - except now he had been ushered onto a platform. No, it wasn't just because of his accomplishment as an author. It was his understanding and relaying of simple truths which grabbed my heart. Truths which God has been whispering to my heart these last weeks, but I had not fully grasped the enormity of them. Not that I have fully grasped them now, mind you, but I do have a bigger understanding in some areas. Allow me to explain.

Within YWAM, a lot emphasis is placed upon vision, mission, goals, and the like. This is all very wonderful, and necessary if we are to see the Great Commission fulfilled. However, it seems that any efforts expended apart from a deep-rooted love for God may eventually bring a person to a place of disillusionment, disappointment, or even burnout. God has been speaking to me lately that His love for me is not based on what I can do for Him. I know some of you may be reading this and thinking, "I know that! Of course God loves me! I can't do anything to earn his favor . . ." But do you really know? Or do you find yourself secretly hoping that God is paying attention to all you're doing for him?


Paul illustrated this point by recapping the story of the prodigal son. In that story, when was the Father's love most apparent? Was it when he saw his son returning? Was it when he ran down the road to greet his lost son, or was it most shown through the feast he prepared for his him? Surprisingly, it was none of those things. The Father's love was maxxed out at the beginning of the story. The Father already loved his sons as much as he ever would.

Also, he noted it was not a story of just one lost son, it was a story of two lost sons - one to rebellion, and one to religion. One son was lost because he chose to walk away from his father to live the way he wanted (rebellion). The other son was lost because he was still working to earn a love he could not recognize (religion). Interesting thing is, the rebellious one eventually repented, while the other ended up feeling miffed at what he considered to be an injustice. I'm not certain the other son ever fully understood where he stood in relationship with his Father - we see that in his response towards his brother.

I think a life without reflection is a life hardly lived. If we never take the time to examine why we do what we do, I think we begin to miss a big chunk of what God wants to do in our life. I will admit to you that I've considered Jesus' words more than once where he said, (paraphrased from Matthew 7)

Many will come to me in that day and say, Lord did we not do many great things - for you - in your name? And he replies by saying, Depart from me, I never knew you.

How could that happen? How is it even remotely possible to live a life dedicated to someone who will one day reject all I have done? I think we as missionaries and ministers risk this pronouncement more than most, because our lives are dedicated to doing the very things Jesus mentioned. Therefore, if I am to continue with this work, I must know what fatal mistake was made so that I may avoid it at all costs!

After studying (the Word) these last couple years, I think I have come to a conclusion. The saddest words in that story were not 'I never knew you', the saddest commentary lie between the lines, in what was left unsaid - the heart of the matter could be expressed by Jesus' resonant cry - You never knew Me. After all this time, you still have no clue what I truly desire. You think I want your 'sacrifice'? You think I'm after your wallet? I don't want what you can give. I just want to love and be loved with the understanding that nothing could ever enhance or diminish the love I have for you right now. Works are an extension of faith, but all your works are grounded in doubt, and in the misunderstanding that I am a God who must be appeased. How sad that we misunderstand the Father's heart . . .

This was further illustrated to me this last week when I was out for a walk. I was contemplating the fact that God loves me for me (like the song by Third Eye Blind). I thought to myself, Even if I was a paraplegic, and unable to speak, even if I were incapable of 'doing' anything for God, He would love me just as much then as He does now. Wow. Now I'm certain I don't have a full understanding of this just yet, but it was enough for me to know that what we do should never be fueled by a desire to appease God. Our lives - the way we live, why we do what we do - are simply a response to the love we have been shown. We live the way we do, as missionaries teaching others about Jesus, and possibly even going overseas later, because it is the least we can do in response to the love we've been shown.

Honestly, this kind of motive comes with no strings attached. If I'm serving out of love, I'm not worried about the outcome. My identity remains unattached to the work at hand. This kind of motive compels me to consider the worst case scenario - What if I live my life for God, and one day arrive at the Judgement to find I've missed the mark, that all my labors were in vain, and that I am now sentenced to a life apart from God?
Honestly, I would have nothing to protest. No man is holy, and quite frankly, I deserve hell. God would still be just. If one day, that should ever happen, the only response I could have would be: Thank you. It was a privilege to know and serve you. You are worthy and deserving of my life, and I still love you.

This is the kind of life we wish to live - one of no regrets or vain efforts, no fear-based motives - just a love life lived in response to who we've discovered God to be. May God preserve us from anything less. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing... I love to hear from you!