December 7, 2015

Christmas 2008



Seven years ago, Ethan and I were packing up to head home to Oregon for Christmas. We had just spent the last four months in Tennessee and were looking forward to being in our own place again. However, the night before we were supposed to fly we both got sick and spent the majority of our time in front of the toilet. After we put the girls down for the night, Ethan awakened every hour to throw up. Needless to say - that was a long night. At 5 in the morning, he called the airport to make sure our flight was still flying, only to discover the flight had been canceled, and we were now scheduled to fly out Christmas Eve.

I was so frustrated! I just wanted to get home, pull out our box of Christmas to decorate and go shopping! I already knew what I wanted to get my two girls - they were young then, so I had decided a new pair of pajamas and a dolly would suit them fine. I had even made out a grocery list and was ancy to get back into my own kitchen to fix Christmas dinner. However, after a few phone calls with friends, we discovered that our little neighborhood had an ice storm and had lost all power. Even when we got home, we would not get to stay there for Christmas, because there would be no heat or electricity!

I'm pretty sure I cried. 

Seriously?!?

We ended up flying Christmas Eve and spent the night with a friend. After arriving, Ethan's cousin from Washington called. Would we like to join them for Christmas? YES please! We drove up and were blessed to spend the holiday with family after all. They were even thoughtful enough to get the girls presents - matching pajamas and a doll for each of them.

The exact gifts I wanted to get but hadn't the time because of being sick and traveling. 

It wasn't until later that I came across my grocery list that I realized she served the EXACT meal I had planned to make too! -ham, au gratin potatoes, green beans and rolls.... and I cried again, that God had shown us such thoughtfulness.

/ / / / /

I love that story because it reminds me that even when we can't see, God is working things out to show us some kindness.

Thanks God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing... I love to hear from you!