January 18, 2017

My favorite things (lately)

lifeinmissions blog

Old Man Winter has been brutal this year.

Some days it's so cold our car won't even start until we pull another vehicle over and fire up the jumper cables. We've had below zero weather for a few weeks now, so I'm finding ways to bring the Danish tradition of hygge (pronounced hoo-gah) to South Dakota.

Hygge is a feeling of coziness you get from snuggling under a warm blanket with your favorite book and a cup of tea. It is not about doing those things per say, but creating an atmosphere of warmth and mental well being. It is a lot of simple joys, mindfully savored and enjoyed.

Here are a few of my favorite things that are keeping Old Man Winter and his grumpy 'tude from affecting my own this winter:

Tea times


tea party ideas

tea party table

See that smile? Pure joy!

You don't have to put on a big spread to enjoy an afternoon tea, but oh- it sure feels fun, especially when you have some of your favorite people to enjoy it with!

My favorite tea is Earl Grey, but I also like to keep Jasmine, Peppermint tea, and a couple fruit teas on hand. I'd really like to try this Winter Spice tea I found over here as well.

We try to have tea together nearly every week. In preparation, I like to lay out my rosy Pioneer Woman tablecloth, polka dot plates, and enough teacups for everyone. Throw in a couple treats and voila! A lovely afternoon tea! My favorite (store bought) cookies to serve with tea are Anna's Ginger Swedish Thins and Le Petit Ecolier, but I also have an amazing scone recipe that has become a favorite around here. One of my friends told me she didn't even like scones before she tasted mine.

Now that's quite a compliment!

Maybe I'll have to share that one with you sometime. ;)

Yummy smells


There's nothing like yummy smells to make you feel all warm and cozy inside. My favorite scents are these Apple and Evergreen candles I found at a local retailer, and I love to light them when I'm settling down for some quiet time.



My other favorite smell?

Hands down, fresh bread. Love!!

My sweet sister Carmen recently passed her bread maker down to me, so I've been making dough for French baguettes, homemade pizza, garlic breadsticks, pretzel dogs, cinnamon rolls, and all manner of doughy goodness. Yum!


lunch ideas

fresh bread


Good books

Reading is very important to me. And I'm not just talking about the reading we do when we scan our social media feeds through the day  - although that (kind of) counts too.

Sometimes I have to slow down and force myself to finish a book, just to prove to myself that I still have the attention span to do it! 

My most recent read was The Advocate, by Randy Springer. Soooo good.
A few other books on my list this winter are these:

Unshaken, by Francine Rivers

The Prophet, by Francine Rivers

Unglued, by Lysa Terkeurst

The Broken Way, by Ann Voskamp

A Million Little Ways, by Emily P. Freeman


The first two, because I pretty much love anything by Francine Rivers. Reading her books is like taking a course on how to show grace towards people. 

Unglued because it's a book about learning how to manage your emotions, instead of being ruled by them. (Man, do I need this one!) 

The Broken Way, because, well- Ann Voskamp is probably one of the most profound women alive today. I love the way she loves Jesus and reading her books is like stepping into a classroom to glean her wisdom.

A Million Little Ways, because I love creativity, and strongly feel that beauty is a gift that multiplies joy in being alive. As Emily puts it, "Art coming from honest hands shows us beauty, stirs up longing, and touches us deeply." 

Great music

Your praise will ever be on my lips.

Bethel worship

This is the main phrase in a song that I have on repeat around here lately. 
With lyrics such as these, of course you know I love it.

You Father the orphan
Your kindness makes us whole
And you shoulder our weakness
And your strength becomes our own
Now you're making me like you
Clothing me in white
Bringing beauty from ashes
For you will have your bride
Free of all her guilt and rid of all her shame
And known by her true name and it's why I sing.

Click here if you want to listen to my favorite version of this one. 

I've also been loving All Sons and Daughters on Pandora.


Creativity


Okay, I know not everyone feels like the artsy type, but for me, there is so much joy in being creative!

You can be creative with traditional mediums such as watercolors, paint, colored pencils, etc, or your creativity can be expressed through writing a well-crafted letter to encourage someone, finding a new recipe that your family loves, or rearranging a small space to make it a happier one to be in!

My creativity has been in photography, bread making, and Bible journaling lately, but who knows? Next month I could be into something completely different. That's okay. 

Trust me. Creativity is it's own kind of happiness.

The kind of happiness you need to fend off those ugly Winter Blues!

Whether it's Bible journaling:

Whatever is lovely

Transforming a cardboard box into a mini-palace for the girls:

Children's play area

Capturing fairies in their natural habitat:

children's photography
Converting a lunch box into a sewing kit:

Strawberry shortcake vintage

Strawberry shortcake lunchbox sewing kit


Pairing a sketch with well written verses:

Mixed media art

Or crafting a personal thank you to sweet neighbors:

Watercolor art


There's always a smile at the end.

 Well, there you have it.

A short list of a few of my favorite things.

What are you doing to keep the Winter Blues away?

Do you have a few favorite things that spark joy?

    6 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Hey! Hope you all are doing well. We remember eating goodies (scones, strawberries, and quiche) off of those red polka-dotted plates, and having tea out of those tea cups. :) I still have those thank you notes.

    Carolyn Knefely said...

    This post is so refreshing! It was like sharing a tea-time with you, my friend. What a wonderful blessing.
    To spark joy beyond myself, I had to pin a few of your pictures from this post on three of my Pinterest boards. One board is titled Encouragement, another is TeaCup Living for Teen TeaTime, and the third is pinned on TeaCup Living Tablescapes.

    Once again, it was awesome spending time you, Mekeishakay, even if it was reading your post. I'll be refreshed again today by you when I have my first cup of tea in the beautiful green and white teacup you gave me.

    May the warmth of Christ in you continue to bring the Son shine to others in your posts this year.
    Shine on!

    Mekeisha said...

    We are doing well! It is much colder here than Alaska ever was though. I'm glad we got to visit with you while we were there.

    Mekeisha said...

    I'm so glad you enjoyed this post! Thank you for pinning me- glad you found some fun things to share!

    I'm so glad you are still enjoying your teacup; there is such joy in those simple moments.

    I pray you are having a lovely winter.
    Blessings!

    Unknown said...

    I love All Sons & Daughters, too! My winter joys have been Christmas lights on my mantle and piano that are year round, "French Cooking Music" on Pandora, and lighting candles in my kitchen. Add a crock pot of chili and I'm all set!

    Mekeisha said...

    Oh, that sounds lovely! Have you ever heard of Ben L'Oncle? He's a French singer with a jazzy style that I enjoy. A friend told me about him a couple years ago, and I've loved his music since!

    I love my crockpot too! Nothing like a bowl of warm goodness to end the day. :)

    Post a Comment

    Thanks for sharing... I love to hear from you!