May 1, 2017

When God seems silent

A few days ago, Sofia came up to me and started asking questions.

Mom, do you want some money? 
Do you want some gum? 
Do you want to play with me?
Are you hungry?
Do you want something to drink?

It was pretty cute. And it immediately reminded me of a special season Ethan and I went through several years ago.


Spring, 2006


We had just had our firstborn, and were praying about what to do next. Should Ethan pursue fishing? Should he get training as a welder? Should we become youth leaders? What about missions? Should we step into full time ministry as missionaries?

We prayed diligently, but heard nothing in return.

It was so frustrating! After a couple weeks of this, I settled into bed and asked the Lord yet again: What do you want us to do for You? Could you just please tell us?!?

A moment later, I saw a scene unfold before me.

In my mind’s eye, I saw a little girl bounce over to her daddy and begin to pepper him with questions:

Are you hungry? Can I make you something?
Are you thirsty? Can I bring you a drink?
Are you warm? Can I bring you a blanket?
Can I draw you a picture? 
On and on she went, so excited, just wanting to do something that would make her Daddy smile.

I then saw her Daddy look down, smile, and ask: 

What do you want to give me? That is what I would like to have!!


In that moment, I realized: God wasn't going to tell us what to do.

He saw that we were so eager to please him, that any choice we made would bless his heart. With that in mind, we decided to step into missions.
.......

Although that was several years ago, it still stands fresh in my mind. I think we have so many options today, we can get fatigued in the decision making process. Sometimes it helps to step back, check our heart motive and re-evaluate: What do I want to do?


When Paul was asked to set church policy for a new believers, he began his letter with: It seemed good to us, and to the Holy Spirit. Acts 15:28

No specific command, no dream or angelic visitation to give weight to his words, just a simple: It seemed good to us. If we are walking after God, with a heart to please him, we can trust Him to cause our own thoughts to be a reflection of His own.

Have you been struggling with a decision lately?
Do you trust that God is big enough to direct even your heart's desires?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this - it reminds me of a devotional in My Utmost for His Highest where Oswald Chambers says that we are God's will. That we trust that if we get out of step, He will correct us, but otherwise, Go!

Mekeisha said...

That is quite a lesson! I think it helps to remember that God is big enough to direct, even when we feel uncertain.

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing... I love to hear from you!